2.24.2009

Beanie Hat Completed


Beanie Hat Completed
Originally uploaded by i_bugsy.

Well here it is in all its glory - my first beanie hat!

Danielle, the instructor, was able to help me out. I watched in horror/amazement as she whipped out the double point needles and ripped the stitches back to a good place, slipped the needles back in - I was good to go.

Truly amazing. I was able to finish it that night and just added the button and blocked it.

I can hardly wait to wear it tomorrow.

Next on the agenda is (are?) socks!

2.22.2009

Beanie Hat

I've been taking knitting classes. Yeah, that's all I need is another craft, but I'm finding knitting to be relaxing, fun, and seems to make my hands feel better.

My last class, through Knit-a-gogo, was Saturday at Knit Happens. What a blast! It was a lot of hard work, but it was fun to sit and stitch for a while with other knitters. I was the only male knitter (no surprise there!) I was also the slowest, but not by far.

Of the 6 students, 3 were lawyers, one was a property manager, one was unknown profession and a web developer (me). It was a great group of knitters. I haven't had so much fun in a while.

Sadly, the same can't be said of my current knitting project, a beanie hat. All was going well, until I had to transfer from the circular needles to the double point needles. I had to do that on my own as class time ran out. I felt confident that I could do the transfer, and I did. I even started knitting and couldn't figure out why the others seemed to have problems.

Well, I finally did. Then I didn't have the instructor to ask for help! Oh well. This coming Saturday she has a help session that I'll go to and see what she says. I'll probably have to rip it out. I'm hoping that all of my time knitting isn't lost. But I'm thinking of starting over. Mmmm...

Anyway, here's a picture of this project.


Here's my problem area, dropped stitches. I'm not sure how it happened. I noticed it as I was working the double point needles.

2.08.2009

Arlington Squares Variation I - Completed Blocks

Arlington Variation I - Completed Blocks
I just completed all of the blocks for this baby quilt. Here's how I laid them out while piecing the blocks. I may have to rearrange them, but that's a little later - need to let it rest a bit.

SU suggested adding some color in between the blocks, perhaps with some sashing of colors in the center of the blocks. He's thinking like 1/4" sashing and I'm not sure I'm up for that.

Plus the deadline for this quilt is the beginning of March. Of course, if its a little late, no biggie.

The other option is some sort of applique.

I'll think about it, but I'll probably move forward with the way it is now. Gotta move forward!